PRE IMPLANTATION GENETIC SCREENING
Pre-implantation Genetic Testing (PGT) is a reproductive technology used in in vitro fertilization (IVF) to screen embryos for genetic abnormalities. It identifies specific disorders or chromosomal abnormalities, allowing couples to make informed decisions about which embryos to select for implantation, increasing the chances of a healthy pregnancy.
There are three main types of PGT, each with a specific focus:
PGT-A (Pre-implantation Genetic Testing for Aneuploidy):
PGT-A is a pre-implantation genetic testing method used to assess embryo chromosomal status and identify aneuploidies, such as Down syndrome or Turner syndrome, which helps select embryos with the correct number of chromosomes, reducing the risk of miscarriage and chromosomal-related birth defects.
PGT-M (Pre-implantation Genetic Testing for Monogenic or Single-Gene Disorders):
PGT-M is a pre-implantation genetic testing method used to select embryos without a specific genetic mutation responsible for a disorder, allowing for the selection of offspring from parents who carry the same mutation.
PGT-SR (Pre-implantation Genetic Testing for Structural Rearrangements):
PGT-SR is used to identify embryos with balanced chromosomal arrangements for implantation in cases of structural chromosomal abnormalities in one or both parents, potentially preventing infertility or recurrent miscarriages.
The PGT process typically involves the following steps:
- Ovarian Stimulation: The woman undergoes ovarian stimulation to produce multiple eggs.
- Egg Retrieval: Eggs are retrieved from the woman’s ovaries through a minimally invasive procedure.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF): The retrieved eggs are fertilized with sperm in a laboratory dish, creating embryos.
- Embryo Culture: The embryos are cultured for a few days (usually 5-6 days) until they reach the blastocyst stage.
- Biopsy: A few cells are removed from each embryo for genetic testing.
- Genetic Testing: The extracted cells are analyzed using various genetic testing techniques, depending on the specific type of PGT.
- Embryo Selection: Embryos free of the targeted genetic abnormalities are selected for transfer to the woman’s uterus.
- Embryo Transfer: One or more selected embryos are transferred into the woman’s uterus, and any remaining healthy embryos can be cryopreserved for future use.
At ILC Infertility and IVF Indore, For your PGD Screening Treatment, Consult with Our Specialist, Dr Heena Agrawal in Indore who specializes in providing comprehensive PGS services for couples seeking to ensure a healthy pregnancy and genetic choices.
Enhance your family planning with Pre-Implantation Genetic Screening in Indore.
Optimize embryo selection for a healthy future.
Consult experts now! Book an appointment now: +91–7574858084